Here are a few of the attractions that are near the Moonflower luxury cottages in Johannesburg
- Victory Park shopping center is 200m away and can be walked. It has a PnP for grocery shopping, bookstores, restaurants and take-outs, Shopping Malls include Cresta Centre, Clearwater & Rosebank Mall as well as a host of trendy restaurants and bars in Greenside, Parkhurst, Rosebank, and Northcliff a few km away
- Johannesburg is beyond any shadow of a doubt the shopping Mecca of South Africa, with great shopping malls situated all over Johannesburg including Northgate & the Dome, Sandton City, Sandton Conference Centre and Hyde Park all within 8 Km or 20min drive.
- There are a number of Casinos within easy driving distance for guests staying in Johannesburg. Gold Reef City Casino and the fabulous theme park at Gold Reef City is a must for anyone with children and offers family entertainment plus you can go underground on a mine exploration and relive the old gold rush days of Johannesburg. You also have a choice of Carnival City, Emperors Palace, Marula Sun, The Carousel Casino and Monte Casino in the northern suburbs, where numerous exciting places to dine, together with live shows and Theaters can be found as well as a wide variety of shopping experiences.
- Cradle of Humankind World Heritage Site is 45min away
- Sun City (1hr 45mins) and Pilanesberg National Park (near Sun City)
Johannesburg City Attractions
Johannesburg is an African city of note. Characterised by contradiction and an apparent seamless combination of irreconcilable differences, it is the largest city in South Africa. Johannesburg is also the wealthiest and, without doubt, the economic powerhouse of Africa and although it is often touted as a business destination, it is also home to many exciting attractions.
- Easy access to all major highways N1, M1, N3
- Access to Gautrain within 4kms
- Conveniently situated to sports stadiums, golf courses, theatres & hospitals
- 45kms from OR Tambo International Airport
- 3kms from University of Johannesburg and Wits
- Johannesburg Botanical Gardens 2kms
- Johannesburg Zoo 2kms
- Rosebank Market & CBD 4kms
- Several private schools are close by including King David
- German Schule 3kms
- Parkview Golf Course, Randpark, Houghton or TSC Killarney Golf courses are within a 15 min drive
- Greenside and Parkhurst are also well known for their excellent restaurants and antique shops
The Barnyard Theatre
Arrive well before curtain-up to enjoy your meal and an outstanding show around heavy wooden tables in the friendly atmosphere of this vibrant old-world theatre. The Barnyard Theatres are favorites amongst those who frequent them and Johannesburg’s own Barnyard Theatre in Cresta Centre is situated close to Moonflower Cottages.
Ice Skating at Northgate
Develop your skills or just have a bit of fun at the Northgate Ice Arena in the Northgate Shopping Centre, entrance 6, Olievenhout and Northumberland avenues, Northriding. The Ice Arena is open seven days a week, 10 am to 5 pm, and 7.30pm to 10.30pm.
Bryanston Organic Market
The Bryanston Organic & Natural Market is Johannesburg’s original outdoor market. When you visit this much-loved market, you will enter an environment where the emphasis is on quality handcrafted goods, unique art and photography, clothing made from natural fibers, a deli filled with rich, wholesome foods and, of course, fresh organic and naturally grown produce.
The Kyalami Grand Prix Circuit is a world famous motorsport venue with a rich international and national motorsport heritage. Since it’s opening in 1961 the circuit played host to numerous Grand Prix, Moto GP, World Superbike and 9-hour endurance events.
Today the circuit hosts 10 National motorsport events with international events planned for 2009 and beyond.
The South African Lipizzaners
In 1944 a select few Lipizzaners were rescued from war-torn Austria and brought to South Africa by Count Jankovich-Besan. The stallions at Kyalami are direct descendants of those horses and their predecessors. The Lipizzaner Trust is dedicated to the advancement of this proud cultural heritage and the preservation of this most ancient breed of horse. Today, the South African Lipizzaners appear on film and television and at various public performances as well as their regular Sunday morning shows.
One of Africa’s Largest one-stop conference and exhibitions facilities, of international standing, Gallagher Convention Centre is capable of hosting from 2 – 12 000 delegates at any one time, in style and comfort. Conveniently situated for local, national and international clients, in an environment which is efficient, secure and creative.
Johannesburg has a rich cultural and political history. The best way to see and experience this is by taking a guided tour. Tours are available in and around the city.
There are insightful tours to suit all needs, whether you’re interested in experiencing the world famous Soweto, traveling down some of the world’s deepest gold mines or learning about the country’s political past and bright future.
The Elephant Sanctuary
The Elephant Sanctuary, nestled in the pristine unspoiled bush, is the home of a number of African elephants: Elephants are highly intelligent and delightful and you will discover a different character, personality, and temperament within each one. You can take a ride lasting about 2 hours, or you can simply touch and feed them, which is less expensive. Booking is essential.
Rhino and Lion Nature Reserve
The Rhino and Lion Nature Reserve is a privately owned, non-subsidized game reserve, covering approximately 1 100 ha on the typical Highveld of Gauteng. The reserve is situated in the Cradle of Humankind, a declared World Heritage Site, about 40 km northwest of Johannesburg and 60km west of Pretoria. Rhinos, lions, wild dogs, cheetahs, hippos, and crocodiles are among the animals you can see at the park. You can spot about 600 head of game, visit the lion, wild dog, and cheetah enclosures (be careful of lions approaching vehicles) or vulture blind, or be thrilled by live snake shows on weekends and holidays.
You can also visit the endangered species breeding center (and the magnificent white lions) or cuddle a baby animal at the nursery for young orphaned animals. In addition to the self-driving tour, you can book an escorted game drive or horseback ride. The visitor’s area has a kiosk, pool, the Croc Pub and Diner, 4×4 trails, and a curio shop.
Locals with exceptional knowledge and appreciation for the area run most of the guided tours. You will find that Johannesburg is filled with activities that will capture everyone’s imaginations and suit every taste.
JHBLive is your one-click stop to everything that is cool in Johannesburg.
Their writers connect you to the pulse of the real Johannesburg and showcase the true culture of the city. The reviews section tastes the best the city has to offer and the galleries section snaps all the madness from Johannesburg’s party land.
The events section is the complete listing of the top parties, festivals, exhibitions, theatre and live music. In the venues section, you can find them all the best restaurants, bars, clubs and cafes from Greenside and Melville to Sandton and Fourways.